I am such a lover of mayo, so making one with ingredients that I can pronounce and healthy oil was important to me.
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup of oil (I used light tasting oil here, I have also tried avocado — use whatever tickles your fancy)
- 1T of apple cider vinegar
- 1t of dijon mustard
- 1T of lemon juice
- 1/4t of salt
So, I have read multiple recipes that have you make sure the egg yolk and mustard are at room temperature before mixing. I have made this both ways (room temp and fresh out of the fridge) and haven’t died yet, so it’s fine, right? I think so.
- mix the yolk and mustard together with a whisk (or hand blender — or if you’re fancy standing mixer)
- slowly and I mean SLOWLY add in the oil bit by bit. It will start looking like mayo.
- side note: I have messed this up before by adding too much in all at once because I doubled the recipe. also when you get to the step to add the lemon juice and vinegar be slow with those too (especially if you’re multiplying the recipe). Otherwise, you’ll have runny mayo and be mad because you just wasted some high-quality oil.
- mix in the lemon juice, vinegar and salt (recipe says 1/4t but you can put as little or as much as you want here for taste)